Read our story.
Building from an initial base of commercial and government contract work, the Bridger Photonics team innovated a proprietary core LiDAR engine capable of extremely precise distance measurements and 3D imaging. Now, we develop and sell standard and custom OEM product solutions for the industrial metrology industry.
In a search for long-range applications, we discovered that our continuous-wave laser technology is also ideally suited to sensitively measuring gas concentration. As a result, Bridger Photonics developed Gas Mapping LiDAR™ as a data service to dramatically simplify the process of detecting, locating, and quantifying methane gas leaks across the entire natural gas value chain.
OUR LEADERSHIP TEAM
Meet the experts.
Dr. Peter Roos
PRESIDENT, CEO, AND CO-FOUNDER
B.A. in Physics and Environmental Conservation, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
Ph.D. in Laser Physics, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
In 2006, Dr. Peter Roos founded Bridger Photonics with two graduate school colleagues. Dr. Roos blends a rigorous technical background in laser physics with many years of executive experience leading Bridger Photonics. As an undergraduate student at the University of Colorado, Dr. Roos researched diode lasers alongside Nobel Laureate Dr. Carl Wieman. Under Dr. Roos’s leadership, Inc. Magazine ranked Bridger Photonics as 2011’s fastest-growing privately held U.S. company in the engineering sector. In 2012, Bridger Photonics received the Tibbetts Award along with the Montana Governor’s Innovative BusinessAward. And in 2019, Bridger Photonics’ Gas Mapping LiDAR™ was selected for a 2019 R&D 100 award recognizing the top 100 innovations worldwide in that year.
- Fulbright Fellowship Awardee
- National Research Council Post-Doc Fellowship Awardee (NIST and JILA)
- Graduate Student of the Year Awardee(Montana State University)
- Summa Cum Laude Honors in Physics(University of Colorado, Boulder)
- Physics Undergraduate of the Year Awardee(University of Colorado, Boulder)
- Presidents Leadership Class Scholarship(University of Colorado, Boulder)
Dr. Mike Thorpe
Chief Technology Officer
B.S. in Physics, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
Ph.D. in Laser Physics, University of Colorado/JILA, Boulder, CO
With over a decade of experience in various fields of optics, Dr. Mike Thorpe specializes in laser remote sensing, laser frequency stabilization, and molecular spectroscopy and detection. During his time at the University of Colorado, Dr. Thorpe developed a novel molecular spectroscopy technique under the guidance of Nobel Laureate Dr. Jan Hall. Initially a Lead Optical Scientist for Bridger Photonics, Dr. Thorpe led the development of the company’s first two products: 1) the MIR Series laser for laser ablation mass spectrometry applications; and 2) the SLM-IM dimensional metrology system. In 2014, Dr. Thorpe became Bridger’s chief technology officer, where he led the development of several remote gas sensing technologies at Bridger for the EPA, NASA, and DOE to detect atmospheric CO2, ozone, and methane.
- R&D 100 Award(Gas Mapping LiDAR™)
- Small Business Postdoctoral Fellowship(National Science Foundation)
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship Awardee (NIST)
- Optical Science and Engineering Program Fellowship (National Science Foundation)
- Summa Cum Laude Honors in Physics(Western Washington University)
- J.J. Veit Memorial Scholarship(Western Washington University)
Dr. Jay Brasseur
Vice President, COO, and Co-Founder
B.S. in Physics and Mathematics, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC
Ph.D. in Nonlinear Optics and Laser Physics, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
Dr. Jay Brasseur co-founded Bridger Photonics alongside two graduate school colleagues. With two decades of industry experience, Dr. Brasseur specializes in FMCW lidar, novel laser device demonstrations, laser stabilization, and laser modeling. During his time at Direct Energy Solutions, Dr. Brasseur worked as both the CTO and COO, playing a key role in growing the company from three employees to greater than 50 and accumulating an annual revenue of over $25 million. In 2014, Dr. Brasseur joined Bridger Photonics full-time. He is currently a Vice President and COO. With over 15 patents under his belt, Dr. Brasseur spearheads new product development for Bridger Photonics’ metrology systems.
- Inc. 500(Directed Energy Solutions)
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant(Montana State University)
- Outstanding Physics Student(College of Charleston)
- Outstanding Mathematics Student(College of Charleston)